Saturday, August 18, 2012

Don't ask, don't tell.

Ben has gotten suspicious of my cooking and baking.  With good reason.  I don't see anything wrong with sneaking in healthy stuff or sneaking out unhealthy stuff.  For some reason he has no problem consuming
MSG,
Red 40,
Partially Hydrogrenated Oils,
and other toxic crud that goes into so much "normal" food. But throw in a little
flax meal,
chia seed, or
whole grain flour
and suddenly he's suspicious.  I'm not picking on him in particular.  That's just the way our society eats.  So, I've learned that rather than shouting out,
"Can you believe that smoothie has spinach in it??" 
or
"I cut the sugar in half and it still tastes great!!" 
I just don't say anything.  See those lovely looking brownies shown above?  I made the mistake of telling Ben what they are made with and he won't go near them.  But really, they are
delicious,
scrumptious, 
tasty,
fabulous. 
I try to tell him the beans are just a vehicle for the sugar and chocolate.  Oops, did I say beans?  Well, anyway. It's the chocolate and sugar we care about, right?  Who cares if they are riding in on white flour or black beans?  But Ben wasn't going for it.  I just have to remember that not everyone gets a thrill out of working beans and veggies into their dessert.  Next time I'll remember to keep quiet.


Go ahead.  Give it a try. 
Just keep the secret ingredient to yourself.

BLACK BEAN BROWNIES
1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained (or 2 cups of your home cooked black beans)
2 eggs
3 Tablespoons oil
1/4 cup cocoa (the darker the better)
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract (optional but highly recommended)
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips

Put everything except the chocolate chips into a blender or food process and mix until smooth.  Pour into a greased 8x8 pan.  Sprinkle with the chocolate chips.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  These are actually best the next day but don't wait that long to try them.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Sorry Amy! :( I think I will have to stand with Ben on this one. Beans in my brownies??? No thank you! :) Beans in my chili? Yes! Beans with my steak? Yes! :) But for brownies, hold the beans. :)

Alice said...

WE like Chia seeds too. I want to make a chia pudding. Have you used hemp hearts yet?

J said...

That reminds me of brownies my mom used to make with whole wheat flower. Richard tasted them and hated them. He said, they wouldn't be so bad if you just didn't call them brownies. Maybe healthy whole wheat chocolate squares would be more appropriate, then he would know what he was getting himself into.