Friday, August 24, 2007

the not-so-deep conversation

I visit teach a very sweet nice elderly lady. Sometimes I've taken Katie with me on those visits. This lady has two birds that she dotes on. Katie has always enjoyed seeing the birds whenever we visit. I found out the other day that one of the birds died. I decided to tell Katie about it and see if she would make a card for this lady to cheer her up. I sat down with Katie to have a heart to heart discussion and talk about the concept of death and how this lady was sad that her bird was gone and talk about what we could do to help her feel better. The conversation didn't get very far...

Me: Katie, I have to tell you something very sad.
Katie: You got your underpants wet?

5 comments:

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

that is so funny! so did you end up telling her?

Anonymous said...

And thus are the deep questions in life. So was your answer "yes" or "no"? You left us hanging on that point.

Amy said...

nancy...you crack me up. i'm sorry i can't disclose the actual answer to her question--mother-daughter privilege.

kj--we eventually got to the dead bird but mortality pales in comparison to wet undies in the life of a 3 year old.

Anonymous said...

Touche.

What more can I say? Only that your blog brings many a smile and quite a few laughs. Two thumbs up.

Rachael M said...

That is too funny. I'm surprised I didn't wake William up, I was laughing so hard. Gotta love kids.