
I took this picture on my cell phone in the car this morning on the way to church. Just in case you can't tell, it's saying that the outside temp is -2 degrees. Weather-dot-com said that with windchill, it felt like -28 degrees out. We have a heater in our garage that we turn up just before loading up to head out, yes we are very spoiled. Ben turned it up to 60 degrees for us this morning. That means that it felt almost 90 degrees warmer in our garage than outside in the wind.
Last year, I griped a lot about the weather but this year I have a different perspective. For some reason I feel more grateful for the comforts we enjoy, especially during the winter. I guess I find it hard to complain when I was literally outside for less than 2 minutes today. We rode in a warm car to church and dashed into a warm building. Then, dashed from a warm building to a cold car that warmed up within a few minutes, and came home to a warm house. I often think of the pioneers during the winter but I can't dwell on it too much because it seems like an unbearable hardship. I just cannot imagine people being outside in this with no relief and yet that was the case. I especially cannot think too much about the children. It's hard to complain when, although the wind may be howling outside, my children have a safe, warm bed to sleep in and I don't have to worry about waking up to find them frozen. I don't mean to be depressing. I've just realized that a few minutes of discomfort here and there do not warrant the kind of ongoing complaining that I usually do during the winter. So, although I may still
give extreme weather updates, it will hopefully be with a grateful attitude that I'm not out in it. Now, for some hot chocolate...
give extreme weather updates, it will hopefully be with a grateful attitude that I'm not out in it. Now, for some hot chocolate...
6 comments:
Amy, I get to leave the first message! You are right - we are so blessed with many comforts aren't we. I have to say though that a wind chill of -28 is pretty frosty!! How long is that kind of cold supposed to go on??
Crazy cold weather. I love how here in California if it dips before 60° everyone whines about how cold it is. It's been in the 40's and 50's and I've never heard so many complainers. We have an underground parking in our apt. complex and I'm so happy for that especially after church when it's raining and I'm all dressed up. It Switzerland we had to wait in the rain and cold for the bus before and after church.
This is actually more like February weather for us. It should "warm up" to the 20's and 30's soon. I even saw a day with 40's in the forecast.
Alice, I remember moving out to California one February. It rained for the first two weeks I was there and everyone was freaking out about the awful weather but I was loving it because I didn't have to scrape my car or bundle up. I would joke that the rain was a California blizzard. It seriously affected the traffic and everything. It's all what you're used to--I'm sure I'd become a "softy" too if I was out there for very long.
Amen to that! Every winter, I often offer a prayer of gratitude for a warm, safe, comfortable house. I don't like suffering with the cold - and I ALWAYS wake up to check on the kids and make sure they're warm. Warmth for my family is such a wonderful blessing. The pioneers suffered many, many hardships!!! Thanks for the reminder to be grateful.
its been oddly chilly for december here, too. not quite -2, but 36:) so grateful for a warm home!
Wow. That's almost unimaginable! I don't think I've ever been in weather that cold! I'm thankful for your warm house too!
Post a Comment