My friend Hali is really good at looking for more healthy, less processed food options. We were talking today on the phone about trying to cut out the junk and I told her about this recipe I got from my Mom. You can use this in place of a can of cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup in recipes like casseroles etc. If I wasn't so tired I would include some of those kinds of recipes but this is it for tonight.
Canned Cream Soup Substitute Mix
2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
3/4 cup corn starch
1/4 cup instant chicken or beef bouillon
2 Tbsp. onion flakes
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. pepper
Blend all ingredients. Store in an airtight container. For each can of soup in a recipe combine 1/3 cup dry mix and 1 1/4 cup water (or broth). Cook and stir until thick.
For richer tasting sauce, add 1 Tbsp. butter. (I never add the butter.)
My sister, Emily, is on a quest to cut out MSG from her diet. It is found in a lot of seasonings and so here is a recipe for homemade taco seasoning to replace the individual packets you can buy. There are actually a lot of recipes out there. This one is very mild which is right up my alley. It also doesn't have any salt so depending on the dish I'm making I have sometimes added a little salt.
Taco Seasoning
6 teaspoons chili powder
5 teaspoons paprika
4 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
2 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
7 tsp. equals 1.25 oz. package of seasoning
Enjoy!
3 comments:
I'm trying the taco seasoning tonight!! :) Thanks Amy!
I feel so honored to be mentioned by name. On the healthy food note, we had zucchini pizza crust pizza tonight. It was good. The crust is made mostly of zucchini. It reduces the guilt you feel after eating pizza.
man oh man. why do you guys have to bring on the guilt? i wouldn't mind a cream of chix soup substitute, but that sounds like a slight bit more effort than opening the can...
Post a Comment