BEFORE
(the flash makes it look shinier than it really is)
I cut the trim to size with a hand saw and sanded the edges smooth. Then I used wood glue to attach it to the book case. The wider trim went across the top and the narrow trim went down the sides and the across the front of each shelf.
I decided to go with dark brown paint which actually turned out a little lighter than I expected but I still like it. It was often hot and humid in the garage and so it was yet another sweaty job.
Ta-dah!
I'm still working on the decor but I figured if I waited until I got it just right I would be waiting a long time and probably never post. Book cases and wall hangings are two areas of decorating that I struggle with.
A few notes about this project:
It took 30 minutes to post about this and probably 30 seconds for you to read it but it really took me several weeks to transform this book case. I had to wait for things to dry and find time when Natalie wasn't around (nap time and evenings) so I could work on it. The measuring, cutting, and sanding of the trim took a while. I did 1 coat of primer, 2 coats of paint and 3 coats of polyurethane. I thought it was going to be just a quick paint job but it evolved into a bigger project. I've never really done anything like this and it was a fun adventure. I'm happy with the results!
5 comments:
Wow. That looks great. I am impressed with how thorough you were. It looks great and you decorated it so nicely. I Love It!
Nice!! :) You have more patience and creative ability than me, that is for sure! Nice work!
Wow, impressive!!! It turned out great!!!
It looks really great Amy! And thanks for dropping by today, it helped me a lot. Thanks for always listening to me ramble on about my life, I love you Amy, Love, Megan :)
It looks great! I'm so impressed with you adding the trim to it.
Post a Comment