My sister Becky and her two kids, Spencer (3) and Esther (almost 1) were here visiting us for the past two weeks. (They have moved camp over to my parents' house but are still local so we will still get to see them. ) Due to some pesky car problems and her husband's consuming finals she decided to head over from Indiana a little early for the holidays. (not in the car with the pesky problems, of course.) We thought that this would finally be our chance to catch up and visit and talk about all the little things that we never seem to get to when we try to web cam or talk on the phone with the kids screaming in the background. Well, you've heard of parallel play with small children where they play near each other but don't really interact. Becky and I experienced parallel parenting while she was here. I know it's hard to imagine because I really didn't think it would be this way but we were both just so busy all day taking care of our children that we really didn't have a lot of down time to just hang out. There was one morning when it was 10 or 11 'o clock and I realized that I had barely even said two words to her because we were both going our separate ways trying to keep up with our kids. We did get some good chats in and we were able to help each other when we were each under the weather at different times. Still, it wasn't the relaxed hang out we were both hoping for. I guess we'll have to wait a decade or so for that. The parallel parenting was still fun. And she was a good example to me to eat more vegetables. 
Neither Becky or I profess to be extremely creative or crafty but we did manage to come up with a Christmas Bingo game for the kids to play. We had a few other ideas that we never got to but this one turned out pretty good.
SPENCER!
My girls got a little taste of what it would be like to have a brother around. It was especially fun to see him and Annabelle interacting now that they are each a little older. Katie, as usual was good at taking the lead and the three of them had some good play time together. There were a few little squabbles but overall they had a good time. I love seeing the cousins play.
Spencer would sit on this chair in the girls' room while they jumped on their beds and rocked out to Toddler Tunes. I'm not sure why he never tried to jump on the bed with them. His parents must be better at laying down the law.
ESTHER!
2 comments:
Looks like you had a fun time though! :) So wonderful that those cousins will know each other and get to see each other often. Looks like a white Christmas for you too. :)
I love those pictures of Spencer eating granola ... that must have been one of those mornings I sent Spencer up to ask Ben to get him breakfast. What good times!
Post a Comment