Thursday, July 19, 2012

Dresser Makeover

I wanted to post about this many months ago but never got around to taking a picture of the final result until....tonight.
Last Fall I stopped at a garage sale and came home with these unmatching dresser and mirror.

You can't tell from the picture but the mirror itself is actually in pretty poor condition.  I didn't look at it very closely and assumed it would clean up but there are dark marks and streaks that are permanent.  Live and learn. 

I was going to be safe and go white but I had been looking at too many makeover blogs such as this one (who ironically, I just noticed posted today about how you can't go wrong with white). I couldn't pass up the opportunity to try something fun.  Blue is fun.

Spray painting was fun.  For the first 10 minutes.  Really, I enjoyed the project it just turned out to be a much bigger one than I had anticipated.  It took me several weeks to finish and when I was done I swore not to take on any projects bigger than painting my toe nails ever again. 

I removed the handles and set them up on toothpicks in styrofoam.

Spray painted them with a primer/paint mix.

When I finally had the dresser primed and painted I decided it needed some antiquing so I looked up on-line about how to glaze.  I mixed craft paint and glaze.


You smear it all over your nice paint job that you labored and toiled over.  It was hard to start the first application of glaze because I wasn't sure how it would turn out and I didn't want to mess up the dresser.

You let the glaze dry slightly and then wipe it all off except a lingering residue.

I was really happy with the outcome.  The glaze softened it up and fit well with the style of the dresser.
True to my word I haven't taken on any projects in the past year but I still have a few old ones to post about.  That will be my new hobby.  I'll just blog about every creative thing I've ever done and when I run out maybe I will finally feel up to taking on something new.

2 comments:

J said...

Wow, it looks fantastic!! Great job.

Emily said...

Good Job. :) looks great!