Wednesday, April 09, 2008

More domestics

I love how it feels almost magical to take a pile of material like this and turn it into something else like...








A bag!











I added pockets on the inside and had fun trying out some of my machines decorative stitches.









Don't be fooled like Ben was...the material is printed in a patchwork pattern.

Even though it was a Beginner Level pattern there were times that I felt totally stuck and wasn't sure what to do next. It's still a little stressful for me to sew because I feel so incompetent at it but I'm slowly gaining confidence. It was thrilling to finally finish and end up with a functional and very cute bag that did not exist before. Maybe as I do more sewing that concept will become less amazing to me. My favorite part about this project is that the pattern was free on-line, I used thread I already had and the material cost me a total of $2.50. Can't beat that!

5 comments:

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

fun bag! i'm about to attempt a major crafty project (for me) wit the help of a friend....making a rag doll for alyssa...i'll let you know how it goes...

Rachael M said...

I am impressed! I have been afraid of sewing since I continually jammed up my mother's machine by just attempting to sew straight seams for an 8th grade Home Ec project!

If you hadn't pointed out that the patchworking was printed on the fabric I, like Ben, would most likely would have thought you'd quilted it too!

The Toy Guru said...

AWESOME! I am buying a sewing machine next month so I can go to a bag making class. I didn't know they had free patterns on-line!! Sorry I missed you while in Iowa :( Ben said he did get to talk to you. I love blogs, this helps me stay in touch with you!

Emily said...

Amy, that is a fun bag - I wish I managed my time better to do projects!! You are awesome!

Becky said...

Way to go Amy! I really like the print and am proud of you for trying something new and challenging. I hope you keep at it, and maybe some day when I have a sewing machine you can help me out.