Sunday, April 20, 2008

Why I Run

It gets me outside in the fresh air.
It feels good to challenge myself.
It gives me time to think.

It gives me energy.
It helps me not feel so guilty about my sweet tooth.
Because runner's high is so addictive!

7 comments:

Becky said...

Do you run in the mornings? Evenings? In your neighborhood? I've definitely got to get started again ...

Amy said...

i run in the morning before ben goes to work. we used a treadmill over the winter but now that it's nicer we run outside. We have to cut through some yards or else run on the main street w/o a sidewalk for a bit to get to a sidewalk where we run. They are supposed to be putting a sidewalk through our neighborhood so we can reach the outside road w/o trespassing or becoming road kill.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

i only like it b/c i'm supposed to lose weight...i'm glad you can like it for more reasons....do you have a new running partner???

Amy said...

that used to be my only motivation but over the years that has become secondary...maybe because all the other ones are immediate rewards and the weight loss only comes after a long time of being consistent which is hard to do if that is the only focus. I don't have a new running partner. It would be fun to run with Ben but obviously with kiddos that doesn't work. I've usually run alone except the past couple years with my friend, Rachel and now that she's moved there are definitely times that I miss having someone to chat with during a workout. but the alone time is good too so it's okay...as long as I stay motivated to get up and go. I was planning on running outside tomorrow morning and there are snow showers in the forecast so we'll see if I actually brave it...

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

so do you run alone in the dark? i just can't seem to get past my initial answer here...just don't love it for those reasons, but i want to!

Amy said...

it's light out when i go. and i go on a fairly main road. it's not like weight loss isn't a factor at all it's just that the other rewards are so immediate that I could keep doing it for those alone although i still sometimes whine about getting up and out the door. I just feel like a blob when I don't exercise. I didn't always feel this way. I used to be annoyed by people who actually liked exercise for exercise sake but now I guess I'm one of them. I think it happened after exercising consistently for 1.5 years--the longest stretch I've gone. I think i just finally realized that it feels better when I do.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

oh i realize i feel better when i do, it just doesn't work the same. I guess i'll just be envious of you who goes and enjoys it as opposed to me:)