Monday, November 10, 2008

Yeah, 5!!


My girl is 5. My funny, smart, inquisitive, beautiful little Katie had a birthday! She was SO excited for it this year which made it even more fun for me.

In some ways I can't believe I have a 5 year old...the time has flown. But on the other hand, thinking of her as a baby seems so long ago.Continuing with a tradition from my childhood, Katie got to pick out any cereal she wanted for her birthday breakfast. When I told her this she said, "Ooooh, I'm going to pick a treat cereal!"Katie had fun opening her package from Grandma and Grandpa Clove.

Later in the day, G&G DeVocht and the local Aunties came over for a birthday dinner.
For the fourth year in a row Grandpa DeVocht made a cake for Katie's birthday. She requested a turkey after seeing a picture of the cake he made for me on my 2nd birthday (see below). Thank goodness her birthday is in November also!


I made cupcakes for Katie to take to pre-school. Her teacher told me later that Katie was SO excited to bring them and to have the children sing to her and it just made their day to see how excited she was. It makes me smile to see how delighted she gets about these kind of things.


Random side note:
With Katie turning 5 I kept thinking about this episode of the Cosby Show I saw years and years ago. Rudy was 5 years old and as the youngest was feeling sad that she couldn't do all the things her older siblings could. I think she was hiding out in the basement (a rare shot of that part of the house) and her Mom came down to talk to her. After talking about all the things that 5 year olds can do they did a little cheer, "Yeah, 5!!!" Then Rudy asked how old her Mom was and her Mom said, "Oh, I'm old." So Rudy said, "Yeah, old!!!" I don't know why I even remember that but all through Katie's birthday celebrations I kept thinking, "Yeah, 5!!!"

6 comments:

Alice said...

Awesome cake.

Becky said...

How fun it must be when Katie knows what birthdays are about now. Glad you had a fun time!

Zaugg family said...

I can't believe how long Katie's hair is. She looks so grown up.

Rachael M said...

Great pictures, especially the mother and daughter shot. Katie is so cute. And your Dad is really good at making cakes-- what a fun memory for both you and your kiddos.

By the way, I can't tell, which book did Katie receive?

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

i love that first picture of the two of you, and i love that she wanted the same turkey cake that she saw you had. yeah 5!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is so sweet! Bless her heart! I can't believe she's 5 already!! I love the pics!!