Friday, October 02, 2009

A good month for our youngest

Well, we made it through a whole month without any infections. Yippee!! Natalie had her bladder closure in April and then had an infection in May, June, two in July, and another one in August. She was hospitalized for 3 of those. Thankfully, September was free of any annoying bacterial colonizations and we're hoping and praying that October will be the same. I thought we'd ask little Miss Natalie what her take is on the situation:
So, Natalie, how did you enjoy having all those UTIs?

What did you think about going a whole month without one? There you have it, straight from the source.

p.s. This is just too ironic to write. Talk about jinxing yourself. I just posted this morning reveling in our infection free month and this afternoon we got a call from the hospital. Yep, you got it. Another infection. You see, on Monday, Natalie had a routine appointment with the urologist. They took a routine urine sample and did a routine culture check. Turns out her urine is not behaving very routinely. Even though Natalie wasn't showing any symptoms she had an infection in her bladder. Because of everything her poor little bladder has been through it will pretty much always have some minor bacteria in it . While this is not "normal" it usually isn't too much of a problem as long as it doesn't blow up into a full on infection. However, this particular bacteria that grew out in the culture is a nasty little thing that they don't want hanging around even in small numbers. Fortunately, there is a super dooper oral antibiotic she can take here at home so we don't have to worry about going to the hospital for an IV. So, I guess September was not officially infection free but we were blissfully ignorant until October so that's almost as good.

3 comments:

kira said...

crazy!! She's such a little trooper. I'm so glad that you don't have to go to the hospital - even the one in Muscatine! We miss you guys.

Emily said...

What a darling little girl. I just love her little chubby cheeks! :) I am glad things are staying mostly in control - I hope you can stay infection free for October too!

Becky said...

That IS ironic. You've been a real trooper too right along with Natalie through it all. But I love those photos of her! It's been a while since we've talked ... maybe we can hook up this week.