Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Cake

It started with this little lady.  She's a 2.99 craft doll from Hobby Lobby.  I wrapped her legs in foil and used frosting to paint on the top half of her dress.  Then I put her in the fridge to firm up.
(That's IBC Rootbeer in the fridge, just FYI).
Next step was to assemble the cake. 
I used three 9-inch rounds and a small bowl.
I trimmed off just a little to even up the sides.
Then I brushed away as many crumbs as I could and started stacking with the frosting.  I found these round disposeable cake platters at Wal-Mart.  I think it was 3.99 for a pack of four.  I used Wilton gel food coloring to color the frosting.
I carved out a little hole in the middle of the cake for the doll and frosted the whole thing.  I almost ran out of frosting.  I made a double batch which equalled 6 cups.  I had no idea it would take so much.  Then it was back in the fridge to firm up again.
I didn't want to wreck it but I thought we'd try for a little detail.
Annabelle had fun helping with the decorating.
I learned that I don't have a very stable hand but it was actually a lot  fun.
Ta-dah!  Oh, and I pulled her hair up in a pony tail before I started so that it would stay out of the frosting.  I was going to try to do some kind of fancy up-do for her but I am lame-o with hair, her hair was slippery and awkward to work with.
I think she likes it.
Happy Birthday Annabelle!
(more of the birthday celebration to come)

7 comments:

Linley said...

Love it! And this must be the hair (yours) that we were talking about at church today. I love it too! Wish mine had that kind of body! Happy birthday Annabelle! Can't wait to see more pics.

Laura said...

SOOO cute!

I tried one of these for Lauren when she was younger. I didn't do something right with frosting the top half -- the hubs said it would work equally well for a little girl's bday party or a young man's bachelor party. (Is that naughty to repeat?)

After his oh-soooo-supportive comment, I now just use the ballerina Barbies that have the tops already painted on.

Laura said...

SOOO cute!

I tried one of these for Lauren when she was younger. I didn't do something right with frosting the top half -- the hubs said it would work equally well for a little girl's bday party or a young man's bachelor party. (Is that naughty to repeat?)

After his oh-soooo-supportive comment, I now just use the ballerina Barbies that have the tops already painted on.

Emily said...

I'll order one for Evelyn here in about a month! :) Looks good Amy - I am impressed! :) Happy Birthday to Annabelle!

J said...

Hey, good job on that cake you crafty lady you.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

looks great! i love that she got to help, too!

Megan DeVocht said...

So crafty and cute Amy!!!