Thursday, January 10, 2008

my good friend

One friend can make all the difference.

When Rachel called to welcome me here after we moved in 2 1/2 years ago we talked for 2 hours even though we hadn't met in person yet. That is totally unusual for me. We both went to BYU. We'd both lived in Europe. I had one little girl and she had three. There was a lot to talk about.

She was the kind of friend that we could just call each other out the blue and say:
"My kids are bouncing off the wall can we come over and play?"
"I haven't talked to you in a couple days...how's it going?"
"I have to go somewhere, can you watch my kids for me?"
"I'm about to lose my mind can you just listen to me blabber for the next hour."

We have very similar views on family and life. We've talked and listened for hours and hours about the joys and frustrations of motherhood. She's been a great support in the sometimes solitary job of a full time Mom.

She has 4 girls: one that's 5 months older than Annabelle, twin girls Katie's age, and a 7 year old. Because she has an older child and twice as many children as me I've always looked to her as being well experienced and seasoned in taking care of little girls. She has given me lots of insight and advice on everything from fixing pony tails to handling school yard drama (thankfully I still have a couple years until that).

While motherhood is our most consuming common ground we do share other interests as well. She is an avid reader and has inspired me to carve out more time for books and indulge my own love of reading.

We both enjoy exercising. We've been work out partners for the past 2 1/2 years. There were countless mornings that I would have rolled over and gone back to sleep except I knew her minivan would be waiting outside to pick me up to go to the Y. We stayed pretty consistent with the exception of when each of us had a baby.

Last week Rachel and her family moved away. I am sad. Even though we can keep in touch by phone it's just not the same as when she lived 3 minutes away. I guess that's the way life goes...people come and go. So if any of you best buddies of mine want to move to small town Iowa there are LOTS of homes for sale here. In fact, there's one that just came on the market just 3 minutes from our house.

4 comments:

Becky said...

I didn't realize it was Rachel when you told me at Christmas that a friend of yours was moving. I'm sure you will miss her tons!

Megan DeVocht said...

Amy, she sounds like a totally awesome friend! When I read about how great she was and all that, and then about when she moved, I got really sad! I'm sorry your friend moved. But I'm also glad you and Rachel could have that awesome of a friendship. I think that's wonderful.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

oh, i didn't realize she moved! It is totally and completely heart wrenching to have friends move away. Friends all over the county is a huge blessing, but can't quite replace someone who can come over in a heartbeat or help you with your kids. I can feel your pain. Love you!

Rachael M said...

Oh, how I understand what that's like! In Iowa City, I seemed to have to say goodbye to every "kindred spirit" (like you and Ann, for instance) far too soon.

Now it is I who have done the moving... in Ames, I had the greatest pal, Camille. Since we had to move, I miss her terribly!