Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Domestic Diva

Ok, so I am totally not a domestic diva which is why a simple project like a throw pillow with no trim or ruffles is a big accomplishment for me. Last year we used this fabric to recover the seat of an old chair for the play room and I had some left over. I finally made a pillow out of it this afternoon. I don't think it goes too well on the chair.
It looks better with the red pillows but I think it's a little small. I'm bummed because I just realized that I have a slightly larger pillow form that would have looked better and I would have had enough fabric for it also....oh well. It actually doesn't look too bad in this picture but it looks pretty small in person.
Maybe I'll put it in this little rocking chair. What do you think?
This was my first attempt at installing (that's probably not a sewing term) a zipper. I couldn't really understand the directions on the package so I just sort of figured it out myself with a little help from another pillow cover I had.
I really want to learn to sew it's just very tedious starting out. I can't understand any of the pattern directions and I still have to use my users manual to thread the machine. I got the machine maybe 2 years ago and did a few simple projects but I haven't touched it for the past year. I need to get over the feeling that everything has to be perfect. It felt good to just jump in and go for it with this pillow.


My whole motivation for doing this pillow today is that last night I bought some material for throw pillows for the family room and the one today was kind of my practice run. I may have just found another use for that new material though....I will post my creations when they are finished.
$2/yard at Wally World. It's even the heavy duty kind of fabric.

2 comments:

Rachael M said...

I'm impressed! The only things I've ever successfully sewed were 2 throw pillows in 8th grade home ec.

I like the pillow with the little rocking chair. It's exactly the kind of thing W would LOVE-- a chair AND a pillow. Who could ask for more? :)

Anonymous said...

I think the blue fabric is cute - the little pillow looks darling on the little rocker too. :) You are super handy and I am impressed - I have never tried a zipper before!! Hurray for Amy!!