Sunday, July 06, 2008

Happy 4th.

yippee. do i look thrilled or what? this is our 4th of July parade. What's that? You don't notice anything in the street behind me? Don't worry, you're not missing much. There are a few tractors coming. Tractors in Iowa? wow! good thing we didn't miss it...we never get to see those. There were lots of pick-up trucks with people sitting in the back waving like Vanna White. Who are they? Why are they in the parade? I really don't know. Maybe they were driving downtown and made a wrong turn onto the parade route. Maybe they got a free entry form like Ben did for contributing to the fireworks and thought it was a good opportunity to ride without seatbelts. I told Ben that he should have used his entry form and ridden his bike while dressed in the toothpaste costume his mom made him years back while he was in dental school (yes, we still have it). We would have had to make a new icecream bucket hat for the cap of the toothpaste but we could have done it and then he could have thrown samples of toothpaste and floss instead of candy. It would have been the most interesting thing in the parade. ok, maybe not as interesting as the riding lawn mower....i jest not....there was truly a riding lawn mower in the parade. no decorations, no costumes. just good old farmer Joe riding his lawn mower down the middle of the street. oh, the thrills.

Ben actually really enjoyed the whole thing. I guess he liked the small town feel of it all. Maybe I came with too high of expectations. It's been a long time since I've been to a parade but I was expecting floats and clowns and music. If I want to see a lawn mower I can go stand in our garage. But then again, we only have a push mower and it was a riding mower in the parade.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Wow, that's a lot of posting, I love it! You'll have to do a better job of convincing Daniel and me to move out there than telling us about the riding lawn mower in the parade (though he did laugh when he read that part). No, truthfully I already miss you guys and wouldn't need fantastic floats to convince me to come back.

Emily said...

I think our parades were much alike - we have tractors and lawn mowers too. Our towns people try to be fancy too by putting ribbons and streamers on them - silly!! :) I love your enthusiasm though!

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

you are slender and you do look...um...thrilled. i would be dissappointed, too. its too hot in july anywhere to sit and wait for disappointment. glad ben enjoyed it. i think we need to see a picture of him in his costume

Rachael M said...

I would pay money to see Ben riding his bike in a toothpaste costume! Too funny! Now THAT would be a parade worth sitting in the hot sun for!