Saturday, July 19, 2008

So long, farewell...

This is our beloved Camry. We bought it six years ago (it's 12 years old now) and it has been so good to us. It has taken us 70,000 miles including all over Europe. It brought home our two girls from the hospital (well, not alone--Ben was driving both times). In all those years and miles we have only had to make a couple of repairs. It has been a work horse and a tank. We've tried to take good care of it and it has taken great care of us. We have absolutely loved it. I knew I would be sad when the day came to say goodbye and well, sniff sniff....... My parents bought it from us so it's nice to know it's still in the family :)

I'm officially a mini van Mom now. How do I look? Like I know what I'm doing? Like I have important soccer games to get to? We won't need the extra room until January but this was the only Toyota Sienna (we are a Toyota family) for sale by private party within a 50 mile radius from our home. There were only about 4-5 for sale within 150 miles. We knew we'd get a better deal if we could avoid a dealership and it turns out this one was perfect for us so we snagged it while we had the chance. It's a 2001 and has just enough scuffs so that we won't be worrying about every little ding but it's still in great condition with a lot of miles left for us. The biggest treat for me is the remote entry locks and automatic side door openers...that sure makes getting in and out with the girls a whole lot easier.


This is the girls on their first ride in the mini van. Katie totally loves it and whenever we are going somewhere she excitedly suggests that we take the new car. I thought she would show a little more sadness at saying goodbye to the Camry but, oh well. Annabelle didn't seem to notice anything until she was actually strapped in the carseat. Then she looked around a little confused. She seems to like it also. She can see out the windows easier. I also found that if the driver's door is open, Annabelle can climb from the ground up into the driver's seat...gotta watch out for that.

8 comments:

Alice said...

AWESOME! Mini vans ROCK! My sister has a Sienna and she loves it. They're one of the top rated mini-vans so way to go with your choice. Up with mini-vans down with SUVS! GO AMY! I'll be there right with you some day.

Emily said...

I love it!!! :) How exciting and fun for you! Did you feel like you were driving up really high the first time you drove? Do I see a DVD movie screen in there too? If so, I think that is great!! Congratulations!!

Rachael M said...

You'll need the space in January... is that a subtle announcement or am I reading way too much into this? :)

Amy said...

Sorry Alice, but we actually own a Toyota 4Runner as well :)

Emily, it didn't feel very weird to drive it the first time...all our Toyotas have had a pretty similar feel. It's nice that the van doesn't feel extra big or extra long...so far I haven't bumped anything :) There is an entertainment center but it's VHS. I didn't even know they made those! Good thing we still have some old tapes.

Rachael, yes to the subtle :)

Zaugg family said...

Congratulations on finding a great minivan. It looks really nice!! Of course I have been a minivan convert for 5 1/2 years now, and I still think they are the best. If you want to run over, you can borrow any of our 5,000 VHS movies.:)

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

yay! very exciting...I love my mini van! it is hard to say goodbye to a car, michael wants to get rid of our first car and i'm feeling very sad about it....

The Toy Guru said...

Welcome to the world of Toyota Sienna Owners!!! It's great isn't it? So did I miss something...Are you expecting a new little Clove in the family??

Sara said...

love the new wheels!