I just got back from Ronald McDonald house (3 hours ago by the time i post this). I was able to get dinner there again which was really nice. The walk outside is nice too. A bit of fresh air and a chance to stretch my legs. It's literally across the street so it's really not that far. Natalie stayed asleep again while I was gone.
Fairly quiet day. I'm able to feed Natalie on my own now which makes things a whole lot easier. I can change her diaper on my own too but it's a lot easier with 2 people so I often have the nurses help with that.
It seemed like Natalie was up a lot in the night last night so today I basically slept every chance I got. It feels like the newborn days again. Hopefully tonight will be a little better.
So here's where we are with Natalie:
Remember the 3 catheters? One from each kidney and then one from the bladder out the belly button. Well, we are waiting for the 2 from the kidneys to fall out. They are sutured internally and when the sutures dissolve they will fall out. Right now their job is to keep anything from going into the bladder so the bladder can heal. Once they fall out then everything will flow into the bladder and out the belly button drain. This belly button catheter is also meant to keep the pressure off the bladder to allow it to continue healing. It will be in place for several weeks. They want to make sure this drains properly and is working well before Natalie comes home. I've learned not to ask specific days but I think we're looking at the end of the week. Until then there won't be much going on. Just more days like today.
Natalie is having more and more awake time and is more her old self. She is quite the social little gal and locks eyes with anyone that looks at her.
[insert witty ending to blog entry here]
3 comments:
I'm so glad you are able to feed her! THanks for explaining the 3 catheders--such amazing advanced technology.
It is good news to hear that you are able to do so much on your own with Natalie now, and that her body seems to be responding to things and she is happy. Hope your timetable is accurate and you will be home by the weekend. I am very curious about the carseat, Amy. Are you able to get enough sleep? Hope so.
Glad you're recognizing Natalie's usual personality again. With so much of her short life spent in the hospital this must seem pretty normal to her. I liked your thirty positive things list--way to keep a good perspective! (I guess I could contribute to that new mail you get in your inbox rather than just leave comments all the time).
Post a Comment