Natalie's first appointment was the cast removal. While we were waiting for our turn the girls watched another patient get a cast cut off their arm. Katie was a little concerned about the buzz saw but we assured her that it wouldn't hurt Natalie. We took a couple of last shots of the cast. It was fun to have
Natalie had a couple of tests and appointments that afternoon so I stayed with her at the hospital while Ben took Katie and Annabelle to the zoo. I was glad the cast removal was first because it was fun for the girls to see that.
Here is the amazing urology team that took such good care of us. It felt like a little reunion to see them again.
Here's where Natalie stands medically:
* The closure looks great and everything is holding together as it should. The incisions are all healing nicely.
* Her bladder has grown some in the past month which is great news!
* However, the same pressure that is allowing her bladder to grow is also causing reflux back up into the kidneys. Her ultrasound showed that she has fluid in her kidneys that shouldn't normally be there. This is to be expected with bladder exstrophy patients and isn't really a big problem in and of itself. The real concern is if she gets a urinary tract infection because the infection would go right up to the kidneys. She's on antibiotics for now and we are keeping a close eye out for any signs of UTI.
* She has an appointment with the doctor at Uof Iowa in a few weeks to check her kidneys again. We will go back up to Wisconsin in August for another follow up. She will have ongoing appointments to monitor her kidneys and make sure everything is going well but we have finally reached a point of stability.
It's hard to describe our emotions at this point. For the past 3 1/2 months we have been waiting, wondering, hoping, praying, studying, worrying, and riding an emotional roller coaster. We have finally reached this critical milestone (an internal, functioning bladder) and for the first time since Natalie's birth I feel I can relax. You'd think I'd be giddy and bouncing off the walls but I feel very subdued. I feel peace....relief.....gratitude. This might seem strange and I'm not quite sure how to describe it but I also feel a little low. It's been so intense and we've spent so much emotional energy trying to be strong and stay positive and make major decisions. Now that we are in a safe stable place I can finally let it all go. I guess I am just emotionally drained. It's still sinking in that we finally had a successful surgery. I think of it sometimes and I am flooded with relief. I never thought I could become emotional thinking about a bladder.
We are so grateful for all the prayers on Natalie's behalf and the support we have felt from loved ones. We don't know why Natalie has this challenge in her life but we know that our faith has been strengthened and we have been so incredibly blessed that we can feel nothing but gratitude. Despite all the stress and concern, our loving Heavenly Father has been with us every step of the way. I have always had the continuing assurance that our little Natalie is in His care. The best way I know how to describe it is that I picture her cradled in His hands. Many times through all of this I have had to turn the burden over to Him and trust that He would take care of her. And He has. I guess the truth of it is that we are each cradled in His hands. There is no need for despair or fear when we realize how safe we are with Him. Be still, my soul.
8 comments:
wonderful update ... great news ... what a blessing!!! baby looks beautiful
oh gosh, tears as i remember. the let down of emotion from sheer exhaustion after months of struggles and unknown. you described it beautifully.
enjoy her now! can't wait to meet her...
love the step by step pictures! so happy for you all, amy glad you feel such peace
Glad your day went well and that you feel calm about all of it too. Love you all!
It was great to read about your experience and to see that everything went so well. That little niece of mine sure has strengthened my testimony and understanding of prayer and I can't wait to thank her some day. How cute that Katie thought up "vacation day"--glad the trip went well for her and Annabelle too. We sure love you guys!!
Amy! I've been pouring over your blog. What a lovely family you have! Sounds like your little Natalie is in good hands and recovering nicely. Isn't it amazing being a mother...the absolute strength of feeling! Seeing your child go through difficulty seems so much more taxing than having a trial yourself. It gives insight into how Heavenly Father must feel about all of us.
She is beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the update. I am so glad to hear that Natalie is doing well and the procedure did what it was supposed to. Prayers are answered. I bet it is so nice to not have the cast and just be able to snuggle all baby now!
Oh, Amy. :) You are so amazing. I love reading your blog. You're such a sweetheart. I'm glad the surgery's sucessfull!!!! And I hope that any lowness will just fade away. Bless your heart!! You've had a long 3.5 months!! You're so awesome!!
Post a Comment