Tuesday, April 07, 2009

30 days and counting... Tues 4/7

Today marks the 30th day of Natalie's life that she has spent in the hospital and she won't be 3 months old for a few more days. That's about 1/3 of her life at this point. To "celebrate" this and to keep a positive attitude I am going to list 30 things that I enjoy about being in the hospital:

1. um.....

2. uh.....

3. I'm thinking, I'm thinking....

4. okay I thought of something

5. I like how I get to hear different people throughout the day tell me how cute Natalie is. What mother doesn't enjoy that?

6. I like it when the doctors come by and you get to ask questions and see where we are and what the plan is. (the last couple of days have been very basic: "she looks good. see you tomorrow.")

7. eating. this is both a pleasure and a burden. sometimes it's a pain to remember to eat or to figure out when or where I'm going to eat. but it is a feel good moment to sit down to food and fill my hungry tummy. I'm all about comfort eating right now too so I always get dessert. the food hasn't been too bad but the options are quickly becoming redundant.

8. I like going outside and remembering what fresh air feels like.

9. I like it when I get a chance to chit chat with various people about their lives:

10. One of the doctors told me how she spent $15,000 going around the country to 17 different interviews in order to get into a Pediatric Surgery Fellowship.

11. One of the nurses told me how she just got back from Hawaii. (I asked her about it because she was very tan and had a turtle necklace on.) She went by herself and camped on the North Shore. She did competetive swimming in college.

12. One of the nurse assistants noticed me stroking Natalie's nose to calm her and help her fall asleep and she told me that she's learning acupuncture and that's a spot used to calm anxiety. She's also a massage therapist.

13. One of Natalie's nurses is a traveling nurse which means she goes around the country to different hospitals and stays for 13 weeks at a time. She gets set up in a furnished apartment and just brings all her own stuff in her car. Her name is Amy too.

14. Did I really say I'd think of 30 things?

15. I like it when I call home and Katie answers the phone, "Hi, Mommy!"

16. I like it when she says, "Guess what????" and tells me something exciting from her day like how they made hats out of newspaper at pre-school and are learning about recycling.

17. I like it when I check my e-mail and I have new messages.

18. I like it when one of those messages is from Ben with pictures of home.

19. I like it when I wake up and realize that I've slept for a couple hours in a row.

20. I like the ice from the ice water machine. I call it "gravel ice" because it's small and crunchy.

21. I like it when I talk to Ben and hear all the news of the day.

22. I like it when I get to be on speaker phone when Ben gives the girls one of the gifts I've left for them. Squeals of delight and then, "Thank you, Mommy!"

23. I like the dirt pudding from the patient menu. Especially when they forget to put the gummy worms in--don't care for those.

24. I like the gift shop with all the cool kids stuff. I might pick up a couple things for Katie and Annabelle for future use. They've got some fun stuff that I haven't seen other places.

27. I like the fact that I can't count.

28. I like it when I post to the blog and can feel like we're one day closer to coming home.

29. Of course it's only the middle of the day and I'm finishing this up so we're only 1/2 a day closer.

30. Yes! I did it.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Amy, you are too cute!! I like your counting abilities too! :)

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

Mmmm, good ice is always important! Good idea to plan ahead and leave your girls gifts, and I would also love to see emails from my hubby with pics of what I am missing back home. Makes it a tad easier, I'm sure.