It's been over a year since I have run. I miss it. A lot. I stopped last May when I found out I was pregnant and I haven't gotten back to it yet. I've had back troubles on and off since Natalie was born(4 1/2 months ago) and between that and her hospital stays I've had a hard time getting back into a regular exercise routine. I've had a few short stints of consistent walking but never long enough to bump it up to jogging. I keep ending up back at square one. I stare wistfully at all the runners I see and can't wait to be one of them again. I'm going through withdrawal for a good runner's high. I'm hoping to walk for another week or two and then start mixing in some running. I've said that before but I'm really hoping for no set backs this time.
I know those first few weeks are gonna stink. I hate it when you feel out of breath and wasted after about 30 seconds. I know if I just stick with it things will start feeling much better--but that beginning part of getting back in shape is no fun.
I used to think that people who said they enjoyed exercising were crazy or somehow not being sincere. But I've been through enough ups and downs with it to know that I always feel better when I'm in a good exercise routine. It's all about consistency for me. I have to stay consistent long enough to actually gain a little strength and endurance and then it starts to be enjoyable rather than just torture. Even when I'm in shape it still takes effort to get going sometimes, especially if it means getting up early. But I always feel better when I do.
Don't let "exercise" be confused with "sports." I'm not extremely coordinated and the thought of actually making some object (bat, racket, glove, etc.) connect with a ball flying towards me is only slightly less than terrifying. My natural instinct is to duck and that doesn't go over well except in dodge ball--not that I enjoy that game either. Badminton or H.O.R.S.E. are about as sporty as I get. But give me a good pair of shoes and a quiet morning with my thoughts and I'll happily chug away, for at least 30 seconds.
2 comments:
i'm trying to get back in the saddle, too. lets challenge each other. i wish i was one of those people who loved it, but i've never felt that. i just want to lose weight.
I've always been so impressed with your persistence with running, Amy. I can only imagine how hard it is to make it a priority with three little girls to keep an eye on, but I'm sure you can!
Post a Comment