For the first time in almost a week I saw Natalie awake! The nurses said she's been kind of alert on and off but not when I was around and not for very long.
Ben and the girls came up to the hospital today (I had come up and stayed last night). We visited Natalie and she was very much asleep. Katie was sweet and wanted to keep sitting in her room even when we said it was time to go so we let her stay until she was ready. She brought up her stuffed bunny Max (of Max & Ruby) for Natalie to have.
The four of us went to the mall to the Children's Museum. It was really nice to get out and do something different. I got some cute pictures that I should have sent home with Ben to post for me.
After our outing I was having a hard time trying to figure out whether to stay or go home. If Natalie was just going to be sleeping then I might as well go home even though I didn't want to be away from her. But when I went to see her after lunch she was awake! It was so good to talk to her and make eye contact and know that she could feel me rubbing her head and stroking her arm. We definitely reconnected today. She was awake for over an hour and so alert and calm. I was able to have her suck on my finger while she had her feeding through the feeding tube. They said that was good for her to make the connection between sucking and feeling her tummy getting full so she'll be able to remember how to nurse. I was able to help change her diaper (a 2-3 person job with that cast) and take her temperature and finally feel like i was *doing* something after a week of just watching her sleep.
A physical therapist came to see her and showed me some things I could do to help move her head and arms and shoulders and encourage her to use her muscles since she has been in the same position all week.
After her feeding she zonked out for a while and then we did the same routine starting with her next feeding. Again, she was totally alert and happy for over an hour before falling asleep again. So far it seems she's on a good schedule. They were feeding her every four hours but it seemed she was waking up hungry before that so now they are feeding every 3 hours.
I love having my little girl back! I'm staying up at the hospital again tonight. It's going to be very hard to leave now that she's awake.
1 comment:
Oh Amy, I can't believe its been a few days since I've checked in. I'm so glad she's awake and that you have PT in there giving your tips on moving her, etc. (I feel a connection to PT's don't you know?) I can't imagine the late night cold drives, but you are doing so grate. As mothers, we are often pulled in many directions, but have an extra challenge right now. I'm so glad you've been able to have the eye contact and talk to her, i'm sure she loves hearing your voice (as she knows it well from the womb). Love you, friend.
Post a Comment