Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Wednesday 1/28

Okay, here's the deal with the second surgery. I don't think I explained all this initially but part of this birth defect is not only that the bladder is outside but it is opened up. Picture a ball that is cut in half and opened up. Also, the urethra (tube from bladder to outside) is opened up. Picture a tube that is slit long ways and opened up. The first surgery they closed up the bladder and rolled the urethra into a tube and closed it up as well and pulled the pelvis together because it was open too wide--another part of the birth defect. Yesterday they saw the urethra had pulled open and they were concerned that the bladder may have pulled open as well. The really good news is that when they got in there they found that the bladder was still intact. They were going to close up the urethra but it would have been too small of a tube and it would have put too much pressure on the bladder. Don't worry if this isn't all making sense. I'm trying to explain the best I can. So, they left the urethra opened up. They were not overly concerned with this because some doctors don't even close up the urethra initially. They do the bladder at birth and then wait until 18 months to do the other. I don't know why. So, Natalie will have another surgery at 18 months to close the urethra. Also, when they went back in they found the pelvis had opened back up so they closed that up again and hopefully it will stay. She still has a catheter coming from her bladder out of her belly button because they don't want any strain on the bladder.

She slept great over night and has been sleeping most of the day. They give her a dose of morphine if she gets upset and they've only done that 3 times since the surgery. other than that she's on the epidural but she's not on any oxygen. They just started her feedings this afternoon. She slept through the first one so didn't get to feed her through the syringe. We'll see if she's more awake for the next one. I'm fine if she just keeps on sleeping though.

My friend Linley came by the hospital for a visit today. It was fun to chit chat and have lunch together and be distracted for a while.

I also got a free massage today. The Children's Miracle Network sponsors a massage therapist every week to come give massages to parents of NICU patients. How awesome is that!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy, I finally figured out how to get to your space. I am sorry to hear Natalie had to have more surgery but I'm glad that she is in a great hospital that will take good care of her. If I can help with the girls I would be more than happy to if you need to go to Iowa City or do anything else. You are in our prayers. Love, Kayleen

Anonymous said...

Amy, We were hoping that it would turn out perfect the first time but it doesn't always work that way. It sounds like the doctors are being very vigilant in Natalie's care. We are praying for our newest neighbor!!! Jo Anne

Anonymous said...

It sounds like the surgery went well! I hope everything stays put and she can heal up and get plenty of rest too! Glad you got a massage! That is so cool! --And you totally deserve it!

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

wow, free massage, thats fantastic! so glad that a friend came to visit you--I wish I could be there. Keep being strong.