Friday, January 30, 2009

Friday 1/30

The good news:
After almost two weeks of laying in the same position, Natalie was finally able to get out of bed today!! I got to breastfeed her as well. She needs a little encouragement to work for her food again but we're both getting the hang of it. It was great to hold her but with that cast it's hard to be very snuggly. It's like holding a very cute block of wood. I think she liked the change of scenery and being in a different position.

The not-so-good news:
The reason they let me hold her today is because they are not worried about her stitches holding together. The reason they are not worried about her stitches holding together is because they have all pulled apart. She still has the cast to try and keep the pelvis together and there a few stitches that have held but overall everything they did came apart. They won't do any more surgeries at this point. They may try again when she is 6 months old.

Discouraging? Yes.

However, I know it is not for lack of faith and prayers that things have turned out this way. In fact, knowing that so many people have been praying for Natalie is a big help in finding peace with all this.

The cautiously really good news:
I've learned not to count on anything until it actually happens so i will say this very quietly and try not to set myheart on it: today they said that Natalie should be able to come home "early next week." That's good because I am soooooooooooooo ready to blow this popsicle stand and finally be together as a family.

Wish me luck as tonight I return to around-the-clock feedings. oh sleep, how i will miss you.

2 comments:

Emma Jo said...

Oh my goodness, all of the catching up makes me very tired for you. Bless you all a thousand times over and again. What a way to adjust to life with a new baby. I love that you have the perspective that someday you will be able to look back on this and wonder how it was so long ago. She really is so beautiful and the nurses truly sound amazing. Your other girls are simply darling as well. I hope all goes as planned next week!!!

Anonymous said...

Yea!! I hope she'll be able to come home "early next week" too!! It IS very discouraging that the stitches came apart. But I'm glad she won't have to undergo any more surgeries in the near future. Bless her tiny heart! She's gone through so much already! -- You have too!! Good luck on the feedings!! : )